Sunday, May 25

such a lovely base

On a New South Wales highway, cool wind in my hair
Fading traces of fuel dumps, can be seen in the air
Just a bit past Fighterworld, I saw a shimmering light
My heart grew lighter from excitement within
This was my stop for the night
Said hi to security;
And asked if he was well
And I was thinking to myself,
'This could be heaven or this could be hell'
Then he fired up the car and he showed me the way
There were voices on the radio, I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to RAAF Base Williamtown
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely base
Plenty of room at RAAF Base Williamtown
Any time of year, you can find it here

The room is kinda lacklustre, it could drive me round the bend
No block common room, so hard to make or find a friend
But they smoke on the balcony, or cross paths in the toilet
Some faces I remember, some I want to forget

One night it got too loud
Mentally I began to whine
There has been asbestos in the ceilings since nineteen sixty nine
And still that music keeps thumping from far away
Wakes me up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Welcome to the RAAF Base Williamtown
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely base
I'm livin' it up at RAAF Base Williamtown
Hornets in the skies, what a nice surprise

Strange marks on the ceiling,
Rattling window pane - nice
Someone said, 'We are all just servicemen here, of our own device'
And in the Airmen's Mess,
We all gather to feast
Cooks still have to pay for their food
RAAF just can't make ends meet

Last thing I remember, I was
Looking for the form
I had to find the application
To live once more like a norm
'Relax,' said the CO,
'It's a simple five step process I believe
We can evict you any time you like,
But you can never leave!'

No comments: